In our My Remarkable Self program, we work with children and adults to understand what bullying and cyberbullying is and how to prevent it through interactive lessons and workshops.In observation of National Bullying Prevention Month we thought that we would share a few ideas and resources to help you be a part of the movement to stop bullying.
- Ask the new student in your class to sit with you at lunch or on the bus. Check out the check out the FANTASTIC “Sit with Us” App designed by a student!
- Make friends with someone at school who you don’t know. Many children wish that someone had done that for them at some point.
- Be respectful of others’ opinions even if they are not your own.
- Figure out what you love to do, whether it is painting, writing, playing a sport or an instrument and do it!
- Be an UPSTANDER – Bullies have been known to back off when others stand up for victims.
1. Learn what bullying is what it is not.
2. Set a good example and model kind and respectful behavior.
3. Get involved in a community group where your child can interact with kids who are outside of your normal school or social group.
4. Be a good listener – encourage conversations with your child with open-ended questions.
5. Encourage your child to do what they love or enjoy which will boost their self confidence.
Cyberbullying.org – Cyberbullying Research Center
The Bully Project
Pacer.org – National Bullying Prevention – Resources
Bully (2011) – Documentary
Finding Kind – Documentary
— Mary & Claire
**My Remarkable Self is available to give workshops, school/camp assemblies and classes for parents, students, educators and businesses. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.**
© Kids Empowered LLC and My Remarkable Self® 2018